Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Larger than life

After visiting Georges Head we went to Balmoral Beach for a walk. This colourful lad had surrounded himself with enviable ambiance to enjoy his xmas day, seated himself in the middle of the busy promenade of Balmoral Beach, dozing off after his meal and drinks that came in his eskie (cooler box). The retro music box was playing disco beats from 70's.

Ricoh GR II, f/2.8, ISO 320, 1/2000s

Photographic Experience:

Click to enlarge for best views. The light was challenging, as the sun was about to set in the opposite direction with long shades casting all over the place. I did a bit of DxO processing to remove the shades on my subject (set to 49), reduced blacks (set to 43), reduced highlights (set to -24) and cropped heavily. After cropping image size was reduced from 16 MP to 3.6 MP, yet dynamic range of Ricoh was so good I ended up with good image quality. I was maybe 2.5 meters away from my subject. But on my wide angle 28mm Ricoh he was too small. There were too many distractions behind him that I had to cut. Despite post-processing I am very happy with the result. The problem I have with wide angle is, most often it is too wide for Street Photography. But there are ways to overcome this via post processing.

New lens testing

 I asked ChatGPT4o this question: How do I test the new lens against manufacturing faults? Suggest practical methods I can try.  ChatGPT4o a...