Monday, January 25, 2021

Rubber plant

 I saw this rubber plant in the veranda of a Victorian terrace house. It made me stop. 

I hesitated to take the picture. I asked “Isn’t this an ordinary plant, a low hanging fruit, easy to photograph?”. At first it was my little Instagram devil whispering my ear. 

Then I thought, “If it made me stop, it’s got to be good”. This was my Artist mentor whispering my ear.

A good story can be everywhere. You need to relax and allow it to pour into your soul through your eyes. That’s when a good photograph can be taken.

There are huge merits in slow intent-based photography. 

Something that makes you stop is worth to look at closely. Ask “What makes this thing drawing my attention?”. Study its expression in relation to surroundings. This object is part of a bigger whole, yet it stands out. Ask “What makes it to stand out, what is its story?”

For me a rubber plant reminds me my upbringing. Many city dwellings in Turkey had one. It is the most robust indoor plant, easy to grow in living rooms. 

But it is not solely the rubber plant. It brings back sounds, smells and memories. An object like this serves as a memory trigger. With it I hear the sound of coffee pot (cezve) from the kitchen, my mom’s voice asking if I want a cup. The shades and light beams pouring between gaps of gently moving white sheers, the breeze and sounds coming from outside, the unmistakable smell of Turkish coffee.

Then, it is the stance of the plant captivated my attention. It was healthy, lavish green, no trace of yellow leaves yet, at the top of its game. It has this grandeur presence of a living being, commanding respect. 

I am glad that I let it to speak to me. I realised, the plant was talking to me, that was what made me stop.

As a photographer, next time something stops you, listen to what story it is telling you. Slow down, and absorb its presence in solitude. Be gentle in your approach and in your thinking. Be a giver, be generous in your attention that it demands.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to kill your darlings

In your Photography venture, you may have dedicated a "maybe" bucket where you dump photos that you think may be ok. These are mos...