Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Goodbye Adobe, hello Affinity

The time has come to say goodbye to Adobe. 

But first, I spent the month of May 2024 for camera and lens research. 

In the end I decided the wins would have been minimal if I upgraded my Leica Q-P to Leica Q3. 

My rationale was:

  • 24MP sensor is optimal for storage. 
  • Digital zoom other than 35mm doesn’t make sense in street photography. I already have that in Q-P. 
  • I don’t need weather protection. 
  • I don’t like flippable LCD. 
  • I love the unique stealth look and feel of Q-P. 

Hence I will stick to Q-P for street photography and use Leica CL + kit lens (18-56 mm Vario) occasionally for fun. 

For a while I have been thinking to quit Adobe Photography subscription. I have only used Lightroom and mostly for simple editing. Also I am increasingly annoyed by Adobe’s aggressive adoption of generative AI. The possibility of Adobe using or leaking my photos to train AI behind my back is quite nerve breaking. I don’t want to use AI for creative work, and I don’t want to be hassled by it. 

That brought me to Adobe rival Affinity. I considered a going back to DxO but Affinity is seen as the best Adobe Photography replacement. I bought the whole Affinity V2 universal license; Photo 2, Designer 2 and Publisher 2. Affinity is one off payment, no subscription. 

I am now learning Affinity and migrating Adobe workflow to it. I will stop Adobe subscription before the end of December when my contract ends.

Goodbye Adobe, hello Affinity

The time has come to say goodbye to Adobe.  But first, I spent the month of May 2024 for camera and lens research.  In the end I decided the...